What is Cpanel Hosting ?
When managing a website, it is not just a matter of accessing the administration interface to write articles, posting new pages, moderating any comments or making CMS updates: its complete management requires higher level tools, and undoubtedly cPanel is one of the best available on the market.
– it is a control panel that allows you to manage, through a web interface and in full autonomy, all the aspects of “high level” related to our site.
It should not be confused with WHM which is the most advanced version available only on the most expensive hosting plans or on those hosting divisible by reseller or in a dedicated server or in a VPS to manage the main system aspects, physically creating individual accounts cPanel that users will use independently.
The following services will usually be available through cPanel:
- the statistics of the site and the error log;
- the management of the DNS domain and file;
- the management of the space on the disk;
- the creation and management of FTP accounts ;
- the creation, maintenance and management of the site database ;
- the software to allow the quick installation of the CMS you want, that is Softaculous ;
which we will now describe in detail.
Statistics, system information and logs
In the left part of the control panel, after logging in following the instructions provided at the time of purchase (you will need three things, namely the access URL to the panel, a username and a password), you will find a series of basic information , usually in correspondence with the writing “Stats” (Statistics).
The most interesting are the following:
- Name Server: they are associated by default to the site, and generally should not be touched;
- domain name;
- home directory name (can be used to configure certain CMS);
- IP of the last login (to be sure that no one else has accessed cPanel);
- use of memory, CPU, disk space and number of active processes;
- bandwidth and disk space consumed by the site;
- number of active mail accounts;
- number of any domains / subdomains;
- MySQL database;
- installed versions of Apache, PHP and MySQL;
- current status of the servers.
This information is important, but should only be used in cases of strict necessity . The error logs, useful when debugging the site, are available by clicking on ” Error Log ” also from the cPanel.
Domain DNS management
Under ” Domains ” of the cPanel you can configure the DNS of your site, in order to associate the name of our site to the hosting server, and vice versa. The DNS “zone” editor in particular allows you to configure so-called records, which must always be handled with great care and, even here, only if really necessary .
Although therefore the majority of webmasters will not need – at least hopefully – to access or change this information, it is good to know at least how the two main records are configured, namely CNAME and A, which have in common the fact of being characterized by a pair of values, i.e. NAME (also called HOST or ALIAS) and RECORD (also called VALUE, ANSWER or DESTINATION).
- Record A. It is used to associate the numeric IP with the name of the site, and is configured using such examples: NAME = [empty] or @ or nomesito.it. (attention to the end point), RECORD = xxx.yyy.zzz.kkk (numeric).
- CNAME record. It is used to associate the record of a domain with another domain, such as: NAME = www.tuosito.com , RECORD = tuosito.com (to “remove” the WWW prefixed from the site, ie from www.tuosito.com redirects on tuosito.com )
In the cPanel version included in the hosting package of Virtual Hosting, DNS management has been disabled because it is available in the customer panel . For greater security, in fact, we delegated this functionality to our system that uses separate Name Servers compared to the web server that hosts the customers’ sites and therefore greater control was required over the management of the same.
Furthermore, in this way it is possible to use n servers to be deployed in different web farms in order to offer a geographically redundant service.
Disk space and file management
There is the application, accessible from the cPanel, called ” File Manager ” or ” File Management ” which behaves in all respects as ” Windows Management ” (or Mac Finder), and which allows the user to delete, rename and upload individual files.
Obviously you will need to access the so-called root folder of your site which is usually htdocs or www and inside it you will be able to see the files of our site. We always take care not to inadvertently manipulate or delete any file from our portal at this stage.
Creation and management of FTP accounts
By clicking on the application icon ” FTP Accounts ” (FTP Account) it will be possible to manage the accounts of our FTP, ie username and password that we will use from a client such as FileZilla to access the remote folder containing the site’s files, quickly upload numerous files (as during the first installation of our CMS, be it WordPress or Joomla! or anything else) and make changes to the permissions of files and folders (CHMOD).
In this part of cPanel it is therefore possible to configure how we want the account, then to access we will still have to use a separate client and configure it, the first in a way consistent with what we have created (or that hosting has created for us).
MySQL database management
In cPanel installations made available in hosting services it is normally possible, always from the web interface:
- access the complete management of tables, queries and databases;
- create databases and related users;
- associate users with databases.
These functions are accessed by clicking on the icons, also from cPanel, of PHPMyAdmin and of MySQL® Databases or MySQL® Database Wizard .
Softaculous: CMS installation in one click
Softaculous is very convenient to install WordPress, Drupal and many other CMS with a simple one-click procedure , and without having to configure anything technically. For more information, please read our article dedicated to the topic.
Finally, remember that our hosting offer includes both cPanel and VHCS, an open source software optimized by our systems engineers , as a management control panel for the main services on the web server side.
Bookeers | Bookeers Secret Sale | 🇺🇸 US Domain And Hosting | 🇬🇧 UK Domain And Hosting | 🇦🇺 AU Domain And Hosting | 🇧🇬 BG Domain And Hosting | 🇨🇦 CA Domain And Hosting | 🇫🇷 FR Domain And Hosting | 🇪🇸 ES Domain And Hosting